History

Crescent Shores Drive

Crescent Shores Drive was part of the 149.25 acres of land homesteaded by Hobart Mecking in 1871.  The land was platted by Parm C. and R. Emma Gilbert in May of 1940 extending the original two-track road that stopped at 2756 Crescent Shores Drive.

Electricity first came to Crescent Shores Drive in 1944 and telephone service was introduced in the 1950s with a 6-party line.

The channel joining Mickey and Long Lake was dredged in _______ allowing safe passage between the two lakes.

Mickey Lake was designated as a "No Wake Lake" in ______.

Crescent Shores Drive Association was formed to maintain the road, which was a gravel road at that time. As the cost of brine, gravel, and grading the road increased, the decision was made to have it paved. this was done in 1989 amidst controversy at a cost of $63,000. It was initially planned to be 10' wide, but when the bid came in lower than anticipated, the plans were upgraded to 12' wide. Once the paving project was completed, the association fell by the wayside.

The newly paved road being more suitable for winter use allowed the US Postal Service to begin year-round delivery to all residents. Prior to that, residents desiring winter may service had to place temporary mailboxes near the south end of the drive. Prior to that, all Crescent Shores Drive mailboxes were located near the intersection of Crescent Shores Road and West Long Lake Road.

Centel began running cable lines along Crescent Shores Drive in 1988 in what appeared to be a move to block Lake Ann Cable Company from accessing the drive. Cable hook-up began the following year.

A natural gas line was installed in 1998, with a cost of about $500 to have a home connected to the main line.

Recent memorable events were the windstorm of July 17, 2006, and August 2, 2015, which caused significant damage. The Crescent Shores Road public boat launch was upgraded in 2018 with the addition of a large parking area.